Sisters in Crime: Heart of Texas chapter calls on all unpublished, aspiring writers of cozies, thrillers, true crime, noir, young adult, middle grade, and other mystery genres to submit the first 500 words of their mystery manuscript (novel or short story) to the Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event.
Aspiring writers are chosen and matched with published author-mentors for one-on-one sessions and recognition at the Sisters In Crime: Heart of Texas Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event in May of each year. The submission deadline is March 31, 2016.
This is not a contest: there is no judging and no fee. It is a wonderful opportunity for writers unpublished in the mystery field to be mentored by published authors and recognized by the Sisters in Crime: Heart of Texas chapter.
All aspiring writers must attend the Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event Sunday, May 15, 2016, at 2 p.m. at the Yarborough Branch of the Austin Public Library.
- Unpublished writers submit by email a 100 word (maximum) synopsis and the first 500 words of a mystery short story or novel.
- Entries must be in standard submission format: 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins.
- Attach a Word file document with the synopsis (100 word max) on first page. Put your name, email address, phone number, and title of story or novel in the top left-hand corner of first page. On the second page, start the 500-word submission of your novel or short story. Put your name, manuscript title, and page number on all pages.
- One submission per person.
- Email subject line: BBSAWE ENTRY.
- Email entries and any questions to Gale Albright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission deadline is March 31, 2016.